Thursday 1 December 2011

SQL Server intellisense disabled after windows update

Last week my corporate network administrator pushed out a couple of windows updates for SQL Server 2008 R2 and Visual Studio 2010. After installing them I discovered that my intellisense in SQL Server management studio had disappeared. No matter what I tried, I couldn't re-enable it.

The intellitrace in VS2010 SP1 causes an issue with the intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2 and Microsoft are aware of the problem and have issued a hotfix. Scott Guthrie blogged about the issue but doesn't mention the fix, and Microsoft don't make it easy to get your hands on it either.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2531482

The SQL Server 2008R2 SP1 is supposed to contain the fix, but I found that the issue was still there after installing SP1. After chasing my tail for a while, I found the easiest fix was simply to restore my system back to before the updates were installed.

For Windows 7 go to Control Panel --> Action Centre and select 'Restore your computer to an earlier time'.

No comments:

Post a Comment